A consort of five viols is available for loan for a period of two years (August-July). Renewal is possible at the discretion of the Consort Loan Program committee. Applications by letter or email to the Consort Loan Program administrator are due May 1. Notification of acceptance is by June 1.
Applications should include:
- Name of the VdGSA member applying for the consort loan
- Brief resume of applicant's teaching experience
- Detailed description of program: type of venue, ages of students served, typical activities planned, how the year's work is organized, sample syllabus for a class.
- Estimated impact of program
- Specific dates of program
- Sizes of viol required*
If your application is approved, you will be required to send in a signed copy of the Consort Loan Program Agreement. You can download a copy here.
Costs and responsibilities involved in the Consort Loan Program:
- a security deposit of $500 is required, which will be refunded after the five viols are returned to VdGSA in the same playing condition as they arrived.
- the applying teacher is responsible for all loss or damage to the viols.
- VdGSA will pay for all viol shipping.
- periodic reports on the program by e-mail to the program administrator are expected semi-annually throughout the term of the loan, coinciding with the meetings of the Board of Directors.
CARE AND MAINTENANCE: Instruments will be sent in playing condition. It is the teacher's responsibility to replace any broken strings or frets before returning the consort. Any other problems must be reported to the program administrator to determine what action is to be taken.
SHIPPING: The VdGSA will pay for shipping the consort to the teacher and back to the VdGSA. The teacher is responsible for any costs incurred by the VdGSA in retrieving an instrument, case and bow, including legal fees, and costs of repair of any damage. VdGSA strongly recommends that the recipient save the packing materials for the eventual return of the instruments. Packing materials, including the correct size of box, can be expensive and hard to find, so reusing these items is both convenient and cost effective. The VdGSA will not pay for replacing these materials for return shipment. Before returning the viols, please contact the Consort Loan Program Administrator first for detailed packing and shipping instructions.
Point of contact:
Consort Loan Program Administrator Ron Vernon